Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 2- Deer

I couldn't write this last night because there was a thunderstorm and I couldn't find a place to camp. It was getting darker and darker so I simply had to pick a spot. It wasn't great- I had to move a couple of pine cones because I'm sure those aren't very comfortable to sleep on. But it did the job. I slept with my tarp over my tent- my tent is supposed to be waterproof, but one: it isn't and two: my tarp is green, so it should have helped me blend in a little better. When I woke up, I found out that the tarp actually has two sides to it- the other was brown. Not as stealthy, but still not too bad. Unfortunately that didn't really even matter, because right when I was about to be done packing up camp, a cop showed up. I camped 20 feet directly behind a private property sign... Oops. Luckily I just got a warning.
Shoot, I guess I should back up a little and actually talk about day 2. I started a bit late, around noon. I had to go over two passes, which were tough when going uphill, but the downhills made them worth  it. I randomly found a post office, but I hadn't bought a postcard yet, so I had to keep going. I found another once I made it to Coeur d'Alene, the most difficult to spell city in the United States. After that, I was simply following the trail, but it crossed the road funny so I got lost right before it started raining hard. I found the nearest roof, a bar, and there were people coming outside so I was like eh, no. So I kept going and found a pet care building- perfect. While I sat there and waited, I looked on my phone for nearby places to stay. The nearest hotel- half mile away. Price: starting at 175 per night. Screw that... The woods in front of the building looked great, so I headed over there once the rain calmed down. Tons of private property and no trespassing signs. Fantastic. So I kept on biking and got trapped in an apartment parking lot. Google told me to turn around and go back, but I saw a shortcut. Unfortunately I didn't see the train tracks. But there was a small dirt trail that I figured would quickly lead to another road. It didn't. But I kept walking along. There were some woods to the left, but they looked too creepy. Finally I gave up once I reached another small road. I figured that sure, people might be able to see me, but that might be for best if there are any creepy people out, which was terrible logic considering there was currently a thunderstorm going on.
But laying in my warm sleeping bag as it started to rain again, I did the math, and somehow I magically went 85 miles in about 10 hours, even with crazy hills, many stops and a bit of rain. I fall asleep with more confidence than ever.
Haha, how ironic!



No biggy.

Some great views, and I'm just barley getting started.


Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment