Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 69

Bigger stream
There were various flashes of lightning, booms of thunder and sudden heavy rainfall that woke me up every once in a while. One time I saw a bright flash and a boom right after- it felt like it had to have hit no more than 100 feet away from me. The stream was a bit higher in the morning, but still a long ways away from drenching me. The road sounded busy. A tractor crossed it and looked like it was coming for me. My guess is that he saw me and couldn't figure out what I was. He didn't stop though, he just turned and left. The road was easy to cross. I made my way back to the pharmacy I had seen yesterday. I had also seen signs that said no skating or biking- I'll be careful. The pharmacy had plenty. When I went to put a stamp on it, I discovered that all my stamps were wet. Again. I really need to get a bag for them or something. I bought 2 forever stamps from the pharmacy. I tried to chase down a post office. I ran into a blue box instead- it's just as good. Now on to Oklahoma! A few mibtues later, I glance down and see the last thing I expect. A lobster. In Kansas. What the heck. I assumed it dropped off a truck or it was a catch that someone decided they didn't need. I continued on. Road with no shoulders, turn, roads with great shoulders, turn, dirt road. I couldn't handle it- too slow. I turned on the next paved road. No shoulders, but very little traffic. I passed though a town and found a post office. Might as well get stamps. They were closed between 12 and 2. It was 1:52. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat. I continued on. Turn. Another town. Fantastic shoulders. Shoulders disappear. Oklahoma! There were a bunch of signs that were so old that all they said was NO. There were sand dunes and old abandoned houses. It felt like Area 51 or a nuclear test site or something. Most states pretty much blend into each other at the borders- this was different. It went from normal to abandonment right at the border. There was what seemed like a random pharmacy- no post cards. I went through another town, hoping to have better luck. Nothing- just abandoned, graffiti covered buildings. I continued and finally got back to civilization. I had to hop around a bit, but I finally came across a Walmart that had post cards. I headed through town. It only took a few blocks to find a blue box. The road out of town sucked- no shoulder and lots of traffic, but it eventually got better. Over some crappy bridges and then I found some woods. There were houses nearby but they were far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment