Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 77

Hello?
I woke up a few times throughout the night to check for ants. They got in again. I sprayed enough raid to ensure they wouldn't come in their usual spot, but they must have found a different way. There was just a few crumbs that they found, but that was enough for them to send in the fleet. I sprayed where they were collecting- not suggested, but I wasn't sure what else to do. I got quite a few of them with duct tape. At least they didn't get into my gear. I didn't sleep very good for the rest of the night. I'd wake up every so often to the feeling of an ant crawling up my leg. I wanted to get up early to get away from them and to avoid being seen by anyone, but I was exhausted so I slept in a bit. I was just laying there when I hear a car on the dirt road come to a stop before the stop sign. Crap. The door opened. Footsteps, then a woman says, "Hello?"
"Hello," I answer.
"What're you doin'?"
"Camping- I'll leave if you want."
"This is private property."
"I'm sorry, I didn't see any signs last night, I'll pack up and leave."
And then the door shut and she drove away. What a great way to get my heart beat up a few notches. I loaded up my bike and shook out my tent. Soon I was back on the road. This was one of the first days that I was actually sore. I'm sure it was from the poor sleep quality. I've been mad at how much sleep I've been needing for this trip- more than half my day is generally spent in my tent. But I figured lots of sleep was pretty important, and today proved that. I missed a few more turns today, but it was a good thing. The turns weren't on to actual roads. Luckily there was a pavement way around it, but I did have to pedal a few more miles than expected. The roads were pretty responsive. By that I mean that when there wasn't a shoulder, there wasn't much traffic. And vice versa. I've been having bad luck with water. When I passed through Winnfield, I filled up at a water fountain. It tasted fine, but was kinda yellowish-brown. I stopped by a gas station and finally bought water again. I'm sure it's worth it to know for sure it's good drinking water. At the end of the day, I really wanted to make it through the next town, but I realized it would be too dark. I pulled over and restocked at a gas station. Then I biked hardly any distance at all down the road and I found a trail. It looked like a four wheeler trail. It was easy to find a spot off in the woods. I was cautious of spiders, but there didn't seem to be any. I had a little extra time, but finally I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment