Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 9

Happy Fourth of July! I can't think of any better way to celebrate freedom than to be homeless for a few months and bike around the United States. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about what day it was so I stopped by the post office because I wanted to send home a few things I wasn't using- my jacket, beats headphones, and sandals. They all added a bit of extra weight that I didn't need. But of course, it was closed for the holiday. And it's a Friday. So the next time I will be able to send stuff is on Monday. I thought about throwing them away or donating but I guess I would just have to carry some extra weight for a while. I stopped by a mini mart and bought some food, including a chocolate protein bar that melted in about 10 minutes and a 6 pack of donuts that were gone in 10 minutes.
The riding on this day was similar to the previous- a got two pictures of summits. I didn't have service most of the day, but I knew there were two warm showers folks in Burns, so I wasn't too worried. Once I was 3 miles outside Burns, I finally got service again, and I called the people. One was an out of service number, and the other went straight to voicemail. Awesome. I could see fireworks by now, so I kept peddling into town, hoping to find a cheap motel or something. Everything was at least 50 bucks though. Not happening. I luckily stumbled upon an rv park that accepts tent campers- only 10 bucks. You get wifi, electricity, and showers. Perfect. I sent up my broken tent and then took a nice long shower. I could hear the fireworks from inside my tent, but I was too exhausted to go outside and find a good place to watch them from. Dogs were barking at the loud bangs. Somehow I still managed to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment