Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 28

I woke up late today. This was due to my weird night. Being chased by dogs just an hour before made me realize that while I might not be afraid of coyotes anymore (actually I haven't even heard them for the past several nights), wild or even domesticated hunting dogs could be a problem, especially with my smaller tent. I heard one dog while in my tent that seemed far away, but I couldn't be sure. I grabbed my knife just in case as my mind went racing. I eventually relaxed, but then it sounded like a car pulled up and stopped nearby- I didn't see any lights, but there wasn't the usual zoom when a car just passes through. I sat up for a while, heart pounding. The dog was still wailing every once in a while. It took me a bit longer to relax this time. I finally got to sleep, but it was much later than normal.
At about 10:20, I got onto the road and enjoyed the temporary downhill greatly- and instantly got blasted by the wind. I'm glad I didn't try that last night in the dark. Once I started heading east, I expected the wind to get better, but I was facing it almost head on. This was what it was like pretty much all day- downhills were really slow, and uphill a were just as bad. I was averaging below 6mph, so I was really getting worried that I wouldn't get as far as I wanted to. I finally reached a small town with a gas station- at least I didn't have to worry about water and food. I got a pint of icecream to cool me down and for the 800 calories, but I don't like to waste time that I could be peddling so I tried bringing it with me- that didn't really work. I ended up just stopping and eating the half melted icecream. I soon arrived at another town with a matching gas station so I figured since it was still very hot out, I could use a slurpy. I took a few slurps to make sure putting the lid on wouldn't make it spill all over, and soon I felt like I was going to die. It felt like a swallowed frozen acid or something- it was the worst brainfreeze/heartfreeeze of my life. It lasted long enough that I went into the bathroom, thinking I was going to puke or something, but I didn't. The pain eventually went away, but unfortunately I don't think I will ever look at slurpies the same way again. I must have been super unlucky, because when I went back to my bike, put the slurpy into the basket, then went to throw away some trash, my bike fell over, spilling everything everywhere. I was so mad. I loaded my basket back up. The only harm it really did was waste my two dollars, but I didn't want to buy another after everything that happened. I continued on. There was a glorious downhill- for over a minute, I zoomed down, twisting and turning with the road. The view was fantastic. After many uphills and downhills, I finally got into Colorado, and the New Mexico soon after that. Two new states in one day! I tried to get the third, Arizona, but the Four Corners Monument was closed. It was already pretty dark, so I just settled for the first bushes I could find. It really is a great spot- no one should be able to see me unless the happen to be in the lane nearest me and they just happen to be looking this way. It's about time. The sites of the past few days have been pretty visible. I watched the stars for a bit, then fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment