Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 48

Tall grass
Definitely had a visitor last night. I'm sure this will get more and more common as I go through all this vegetation. Whatever it was sniffed around my tent for a while and then sauntered off.
I've been kinda lazy the last fee days- I didn't get going until around 10. The next town was really close, so I was able to get food and water. I also made Gatorade- I've been carrying around the powder but forgetting to actually use it. A train went by while I was riding, but it was going to fast for me to try to race it. I tried instead to count all the cars. I think I got to about 70 before a semi blocked my view. I crossed over into Minnesota, so that makes 15 states! When I stopped to take a picture of the welcome to Minnesota sign, I noticed a huge monarch butterfly struggling to catch flight as cars drove by it. I picked it up, but there must have been something wrong with its wings, because it couldn't fly off. I had to leave it a bit further from the road. The sunset was great, as usual. I biked past several lakes. I passed by many places that I'm sure would have been great campsites, but it was stil really light out, dispite there being no sun. Once I could hear the freeway, I gave in. I climbed up a bank and set up. I should have paved bike trails from here to Minneapolis- that will be nice. Most of the roads today didn't even have shoulders. As I write this, the outside of my tent is completely surrounded by mosquitoes. I am praying for wind tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment