Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 41

Thunderstorm
I woke up a few times. Once from coyotes howling (seriously why are they everywhere?) and more than once because I was basically sleeping on a small boulder. Somehow I felt refreshed in the morning though, so I was all packed up before 9. Thankfully the storm had passed, but there were still clouds, so it was a good temperature. I was only about 10 miles from South Dakota, my 13th state. I reached that quickly. The first town had a very small shop. I got donuts, sour gummy worms, a chocolate muffin and a burrito. My stomach still felt a little weird, so I tried to get food that would be impossible not to eat. Most of the day went by without anything interesting happening, except there were a bunch of frogs hopping in my path. When I go to the first decent sized city, there was a supermarket desguized as a gas station. I got strawberries and  a huge thing of cookies. They didn't have post cards though so I went to the next gas station, and they did sell them. I'm glad this is getting easier. I had to go out of my way to find the post office, but oh well. As the end of the day approached, it started to sprinkle a bit. I saw what looked like decent camp spots but I wanted to get a bit further. I finally saw some trees that I was going to hide under but I didn't see the fence. I decided to set up my tent before the fence. There were tall weeds like before and the highway was higher, so I'm hidden enough. As I was setting up my tent, the same thing that happened yesterday happened today. While biking, the rain was fine, but as soon as I got my tent out. It really started to pick up. I quickly set up my tent and threw everything in. I'm now having second thoughts about picking this spot- it is right next to the woods. There are plenty of hiding spots for animals in there, and it goes around in a ring- plenty of space. I guess we'll see how close the howls sound tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment