Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 109- Cold

It was really cold last night. I slept in and got up a bit before 9. Once I had everything on my bike, I realized I had been meaning to adjust my front tire. I think the wobble is back. I'm sure it was from when I took it off to try the bigger tube. I took everything off the front and messed around with the tire. Hopefully it helped. Then I realized my back tire finally went completely flat. It had been leaking very slowly for the past few days. I took the tube out and found a hole, but I couldn't find what peirced it in the tire. I thought about patching it but I didn't want to risk it. I just put in a thorn resistant tube. Finally I was ready to go around 10. I guess it'll be a short day. At one point I turned off onto a dirt road that turned onto an overgrown four wheeler trail. I figured I would have to route around it, so I pedaled back to the road. Then I realized that it probably wasn't that way for long- it connected up with another road. I pedaled all the way back and kept going this time. I could actually ride for a ways but then I had to walk it. I passed by what looked like an old train car that I wanted to check out but didn't just in case someone lived in it. Soon I was back on pavement. I'm getting back into hill territory. It's not as bad as Tennessee, but it still makes me miss the rail trails. Eventually I got into Massachusetts. Three more states. I've been through 45. It still seems so unreal to me. I started looking for postcards right away, even though it was a Sunday. No luck. I'll have all day tomorrow. I swear about half the businesses in Massachusetts are pizzerias. At the end of the day when I was looking for camp, I got to the top of a hill that was cleared off for the nearby airport. It was a nice view. I was planning on going another mile or so to get away from some side roads, but as I was going down the hill, the trees blocked so much light that I wanted to just camp here. The area to my right looked like it had been cleared years ago, but now it was overgrown with bushes. I tried to duck in quickly, because I had been waiting for a break in the stream of cars for too long. It didn't quite work. The two trees I went between were just a bit too close together. I kinda just stood there for a bit, feeling really silly, hoping no one saw me. After some effort, I finally backed up and went in the spot beside it. I was instantly greeted with lovely thorn bushes. I had to set up my tent closer to the road than I would have liked because it was so overgrown, but I'm hidden enough. Once I was inside my tent and writing this, I heard some rustling outside my tent. Probably just the usual possum or raccoon, but it was pretty persistent. I yelled at it a few times but it seemed to keep coming back. I heard a really weird yell- hopefully it got ran over.




State number 45!

No comments:

Post a Comment