Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 110- Airport

Since I was camped near low bushes, the sun warmed my tent up in the morning and I thought it was finally not going to be a freezing cold morning. I was wrong. It probably wouldn't have been too bad, but since I was practically at the top of a hill, most of the morning was downhill. It wasn't as bad as riding in the cold rain a few days ago, but it was still pretty darn cold. I passed by several no trespassing signs- I guess I picked a good spot. Eventually I made it to a town and I checked for postcards. The pharmacy had a stack. Hooray! I went back to the grocery store nearby because it had a blue post office box outside. I noticed a wall plugin nearby. Perfect! It was looking like I would be about 1 day short with my power supply. I plugged in a battery, wrote out my postcard, then went inside and bought food. Then I came back out and plugged in my phone and ate a sandwich. Here's some insight into how I think- I realized that writing the postcard before buying food was dumb because if I had done it the other way around, I could have charged my phone for longer (I didn't want to leave my phone charging when I wasn't right there watching it). Anyways, when I finished my sandwich, I still needed more charge, so I pretty much just sat there and thought. Which was weird, because I haven't really had a whole lot of time to do that during this trip, in the middle of the day anyways. I messed around with how my gear was packed up, then adjusted my brakes- that was very needed. Finally I got bored and my phone was at 98%. That should be enough. I can always stop again. Unfortunately this stop was just a bit too long. Vermont and New Hampshire are really close together- I was hoping to get both tonight. But it was going to be too far. I wasn't too upset though. Since Delaware, if I'm not mistaken, I've gotten a state every day. And I've camped in almost every state this whole trip. I'll just camp in Vermont and call it good. And Brattleboro will be on the way in the morning. I peddled upslope for a while through a national forest, then I zoomed down the other side for a while more. I made it into the town of Orange, one of the best town names ever. This is where I had to make my decision. There was no way I would be able to make it to Vermont by going up New Hampshire and crossing the bridge, and vice versa. I could pop up to New Hampshire and then come back down and over to Vermont, but it ended up being just a bit too far- I wanted to make it to a good place to camp and the extra miles, in the end, would kinda be just a waste. So I put off the ability to say that I had just one state left for one more day and headed down and over to Vermont. I knew that zipping down through that national forest would come back to haunt me- some of the steepest hills awaited me. I zoomed down for just a bit and hit a dirt road. Just a bit further and I was in Vermont. Two left! I quickly got back on pavement and started worrying about if I would get to the place I wanted to camp at. It was close to dark when I turned onto Tyler Hill Road. Awesome name and not awesome name. I wanted to go about 3 more miles, but even without hills, I wouldn't make it before dark. I looked at my phone and realized if I didn't turn here, there was plenty of land up ahead. And it was a shorter route to Brattleboro. Darn Google. I turned around and before turning back on the previous road, a cop pulled up right beside me. And then promptly turned and went the other way. Phew. I continued on. I quickly discovered that this wasn't exactly ideal. To the right was a river or canal and a slope. To the left was another steep slope. I found a picnicking area where I'm sure I could have found a spot in the nearby woods, but it specifically said no camping. I kept going. Eventually I made it to a sign that said blind drives ahead. Time to turn around. I found a spot that looked as good as any and started pushing my bike up the hill. Of course I picked the one spot with a weird tree that forced me to go around it. I felt like every person passing saw me. Finally I was hidden from view. There weren't a lot of choices, but I picked a spot that looked level enough. I set up my tent in the dim light. Once I climbed inside, I found out that it was very not level. Oh well. I've had worse.




No comments:

Post a Comment