Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 111- Not Battleboro

I kept waking up, thinking there was a bear outside my tent. I'm actually pretty sure it's squirrels every time. They are noisy bastards. The stupid slope also did not make for the best sleep. I really wonder how sleeping in my actual bed will be like. I've gotten so used to just a pad. I was really close to Brattleboro, the city I wanted to get a postcard from, so I was obligated to sleep in long enough for the stores to open. On the way in, it was really foggy. The perfect reflection of the fog and the autumn colors was breathtaking.


So was the crazy hill leading up to the town. I checked the local pharmacy and some gas stations. Two people pointed me towards Rite Aid. I haven't had any luck with them in the past, but I might as well check. They had more postcards than I've seen anywhere else! I was so happy. Now Google was telling me to go this crazy long route to get to the next town, but I saw an easier and faster way. I wasn't sure if it was okay for bikes, but I figured I'd take my chances. I wanted to get into Maine as early as possible tomorrow so that I could get a postcard and not have to worry about it the next day. So on I went. The bridge going over into New Hampshire was great- I had a whole bridge to myself (it was for pedestrians, probably a retired car bridge). Then I continued on that highway for most of the day. It was great- I didn't have to worry about turns for the longest time. Only about 30 minutes in, I stopped at a gas station and they had postcards. Yay! One more state, one more postcard. It's so crazy. Even though I had plenty of food, I bought a slice of pizza and powerbars to celebrate. I think it's the powerbar that made me peddle a little faster for the rest of the day- I covered a good amount of miles and my legs got sore. Towards the end of the day, I went through a city and realized finding camp might be difficult. I had my eyes on a spot but a half hour later I knew I couldn't make it. I spent a while trying to figure out where to go when I decided I might as well stop now. It was before 6, but I can't get very far in 30 minutes. The spot here is perfect. It's a wedge of forest between a major road, a creek, and a smaller road. There's no way a bear would be here. I should actually be able to sleep well tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment