Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 112- Perfect


I woke up around 7. It was warm out again. I hope it stays that way. I packed up and was on the road by 8. My route was 48 miles, but I would get into Maine in about 40. Which means I'd have plenty of time to look for a postcard. I kinda wish I had spent more time in Vermont now, but of course I was also excited about finally getting to the last state. I had some good shoulders, then a long stretch of dirt road. More great shoulders. I got into Rochester and my pulse increased- only a little bit left. I started looking around for the welcome sign. Finally I looked on Google- yep I was past the border. That was it. 48 states and Washington, D.C. About 7400 miles. 110 days, 16 hours, 47 minutes. I know what you're thinking- but this is day 112! Right, but day 1 was technically day 0. And I started at 4:15pm in Washington- a 3 hour time difference. So a new day doesn't lapse until after dark. I kept going and soon found the welcome to Maine sign. I peddled a bit further and found a sign for skydiving. Well that would be a great way of celebrating! I looked them up online, and unfortunately, you have to book a class at least 12 hours in advance. There's no way I could do it. There was a nearby gas station. I wasn't expecting much but sure enough, they had postcards. So much for getting to Maine early! I bought icecream and a postcard, plugged in my battery outside, then filled out the postcard. My last one. Then I was like shoot! I've met some great people along the way. I've been wanting to send them a postcard from Maine, telling them I finished. I went inside and started eating my icecream while I figured out how many postcards I needed to buy. I was able to find 5 addresses. I bought them and filled them out, continuing to eat my icecream. Man it was good. It was interesting to think back to the people who helped me out in California, Oregon, Minnesota, South Dakota. The further the state, the less vivid the memory. The beginning of this trip seems like forever ago. Even the bits in between seem like so long ago. But I'm finally here. The past always seems like it flew by in an instant to me, but the future comes at the same slow, steady pace. I've learned so much about myself on this journey. I'm ready for the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment